Avoid rebooting server to gain back RS232 connection

Debians,

I'm using a RS232 cable to connect to a server everything is properly
set up and works fine.
For some reasons I lost the connection to my server that is I can not
control the server using serial console.
If I reboot that server I can once again manage that server using serial
console.

Is there a way to get back the connection without having to reboot the
server?

In other words, how can I reconnect when the cable has been disconnected

Any feedback is welcome..

--
John Doe