Re: Why MBR partitioning (was: Reasonably simple setup for 1...)

On 12/14/21 6:52 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
David Christensen composed on 2021-12-14 18:40 (UTC-0800):

Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:

Why MBR partitioning

So that you can boot the system drive in old and new computers -- e.g.
MBR is "lowest common denominator".

I just found out from Asus that Intel 500 series chipsets do not support CSM.
Luckily my cloned NVME came from another NVME configured for UEFI. So, some new
computers don't support MBR.

The OP's Inspiron 5570 (2017) likely shipped in UEFI mode with Secure Boot and GPT. It should offer Legacy mode, which the Debian installer should detect and use MBR partitioning.

MBR works well with my imaging strategy because I only need to backup/ restore the first ~15 MB of each OS device. GPT would require me to also deal with the backup partition table, whose location can change if the source device and destination device are different sizes.

David