Re: Hyper-typematic and Firefox responsiveness in Weston.

On Thu 30 Dec 2021 at 19:48:05 (-0800), peter@easthope.ca wrote:

> Debian 11 is easily arranged so that "startx" or "weston" can be
> issued at the console command line.  That allows simple qualitative
> comparisons.
>
> In weston, keyboard response can be hyper-typematic.  The briefest
> keypress can give at least two instances of the key action; sometimes a
> half dozen.  That includes backspace.  Consequently keyboard input is
> impossible. This happens not in every instance of weston but often
> enough to be a nuisance. Has anyone else observed this?

Presumably Weston or your DE has some configuration option that allows
the typematic rate to be overridden. I only know the ones for VCs
(kbdrate) and X (xset r). The kbdrate can be set at @reboot in root's
crontab to make it possible to login at a text VC more easily, if
it's messing up your typing passwords.

There used to be constraints on what values would be accepted.
No idea whether that's still true.

On Sat 01 Jan 2022 at 11:21:09 (-0800), peter@easthope.ca wrote:

> The two problems I described and the following are serious impairments
> of the system.  A convincing explanation can help to solve a problem
> but I have yet to find an explanation in these cases.
>
> Spontaneously, windows in the display vanish.  =8~(  If a toolbar is
> present at the bottom of the display, it remains.  A mouse click on
> the toolbar restores the vanished windows.  =8~)  Appears that mouse
> activity triggers vanishing.  Happens once per hour or two.
> Infrequently enough to tolerate but definitely a nuisance.  When
> OpenBox is used without a toolbar, the only way I have to restore the
> display is close OpenBox and open anew.  =8~(

As Stefan Monnier said, I'd be filing bug reports, but I think they'd
have to be described more clearly than the anecdotes above.

>     From: Johann Klammer <klammerj@a1.net>
>     Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 19:15:53 +0100
> > Haven't you noticed the x.org people f***ing stuff up since Xfree
> > became x.org?
> > Why do you expect this to chsange?
>
> I don't particularly expect progress but without progress Debian will
> become an obsolete curiosity.  As have Atari ST and Amiga.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga
> A few dedicated hobbyists use them.  They are not general purpose
> workstations.
>
> Incidentally, with a little dedication and skill Atari and Amiga
> handle email.  That's textual email.  A MUA doesn't have to be a video
> player.

Not for you and me, perhaps, but many people want it to look and
behave more like a browser. And I think that's also true of most
businesses.

> A boot loader doesn't have to be an operating system.

I'm not sure who you're criticising here. Are you expecting Debian
not to support either Grub or UEFI? Or did I fail to notice that
Debian had developed a Boot Loader?

> For progress to occur, maintainers need to acknowledge problems
> honestly and address honestly.  "Try testing." and "Does the problem
> remain in the new stable release?" might help; they aren't solutions.

Well, they might be if the upstream developer has fixed the problem
and Debian has included that fixed version in the stable release.

> Too much icing on top of a cake will make it fall over.  =8~(  Better
> to remove some icing and focus on the lower layers of cake.  =8~)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_cake

Eh?

> Johann, the tone of your question suggests (to me at least) that you
> don't expect a Debian system to be a general purpose workstation.

I don't understand the connection that seems to be being made between
X.org and Weston. I thought the intention of the latter was to
supercede the former.¹ Or have I misunderstood? Are these screwups
occurring in X (startx) as well?

> Is the Linux workstation obsolete?  Is Debian just a hobby for a small
> population with unusual interests?

¹ besides being a reference implementation of a Wayland compositor.

Cheers,
David.