Re: Query

On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 08:50:36AM -0700, William Lee Valentine wrote:
> I am wondering whether a current Debian distribution can be installed
> and run on an older Pentium III computer. (I have Debian 11.2 on a DVD.)
>
> The computer is
>
>    Dell Dimension XPS T500: Intel Pentium III processor (Katnai)
>    memory: 756 megabytes, running at 500 megahertz
>    IDE disc drive: 60 gigabytes
>    Debian partition: currently 42 gigabytes
>    Debian 6.0: Squeeze

Debian 32 bit should run on this architecture: it will be slow - this
is now a minimum of a 17 year old machine - the Pentium III Katmai
was discontinued in 2004.

> If I install Debian 11.2, will it run on this machine? Will it preserve
> the files and directories that I have on Squeeze?

It should run. By default, it is likely to overwrite the previous partition
layout and thus overwrite Squeeze. Squeeze is well and truly out of support
by now and security patches are unavailable: Please do not connect the
machine to the internet until you have brought it up to date / installed
an up to date Debian on the machine..

> I am not subscribed to this mailing list. I would appreciate advices.
>
> -- William Lee Valentine

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater