Re: Mounting NFS share from Synology NAS

On Mi, 02 feb 22, 13:49:38, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:
>
> > I'm unclear on how NFS v4 works.  Everything I've read about it in the
> > past says that you have to set up a user mapping, which is shared by
> > the client and the server.  And that this is *not* optional, and *is*
> > exactly as much of a pain as it sounds.
>
> I've never done that, as far as I remember. NFS (NFSv4, these days)
> mounts in my home network use autofs but I haven't done anything there
> either specifically for NFS of any verstion. I remember there was some
> weirdness at some point with NFSv4 and I didn't bother with it much. I
> had maybe two computers back then so not much of network. But over the
> years my NFS mounts just became NFSv4.

Are you sure you're actually using NFSv4? (check 'mount | grep nfs').

In my experience in order to make NFSv4 work it's necessary to configure
a "root" share with fsid=0 or something like that and mount
the actual shares using a path relative to it (my NFS "server" is
currently down, so I can't check exactly what I did).

> Access for me is by UID. Service is by the kernel driver or in the case
> of zfs, the NFS service it provides. I've thought about setting up
> Kerberos but haven't gotten around to it. One thing is, I don't know if
> Kerberos would work with the NFS service zfs provides? No big deal
> either way though.

As far as I know ZFS is using the kernel NFS server, it's just providing
a convenient method to share / unshare so it's not necessary to mess
with /etc/exports if all your shares are ZFS data sets.

(zfs-utils Suggests: nfs-kernel-server and
https://wiki.debian.org/ZFS#NFS_shares implies the same)

Kind regards,
Andrei