Re: Installation on a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 12:05:54PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 14:42:27 +0100
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Vi, 11 feb 22, 15:24:55, Charles Curley wrote:
> > >
> > > 1) The graphics are terrible. Both graphical and text mode are
> > > scrunched into the top third or so of the screen, with two copies
> > > across the top. They are damn near unreadable.
> >
> > That's likely because your graphic chip is not properly recognized
> > and the OS is using some low resolution. That image is displayed by
> > the hardware 1:1 on the physical pixels of the screen.

I would not have done it this way, myself. As ever, other people, other
requirements and ways of thinking.

Looking quickly, it looks as if the Yoga has 1600 x 900 so something might
have got confused.

I'd have plugged in an external display and done it that way, expert text mode only and used the unofficial non-free firmware .iso. Definitely text mode
only to start with. It's an Intel chipset, so Intel firmware likely needed.

> Right. But changing from UEFI to legacy boot helped that situation. Go
> figure.

BIOS mode sometimes gives a larger display: I'd never tell it to use anything
other than UEFI given the vintage of the laptop.

> > > 2) How do I tell it how to pre-seed? In booting I never get access
> > > to the boot command line.
> >
> > Sorry, can't imagine what you mean here. Pre-seeding is a function of
> > the Debian Installer, which (as far as I recall) is always waiting
> > for some input at the first menu. There should be an option to get to
> > a command line by pressing some key.
>
> Right. All of these remarks refer to d-i. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.
>
> Yes, there should be an option. It wasn't present when I booted to
> UEFI. D-i went directly to a GUI menu, not the text mode to which I am
> accustomed.

Hit advanced options and you get the option for text mode install / expert
etc. It may occasionally come up initially as almost a box within a box
in UEFI mode but that's normal.

> I got the text mode when I changed to legacy support, hit the Help
> option, and entered my command line stuff there.
>

> And, for the record, an interesting occurrence: d-i came up with
> /dev/sdaX (I think 2??) mounted on /media. Oops. It usually picks up
> the USB stick I usually have the preseed file on. I umounted and
> mounted /dev/sdc1, and was able to load my preseed file and continue.

That might be an artifact of having the extra USB stick there at disk
evaluation time.
> --

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater