Re: dual booting, was Re: Stupid question

With respect to the original problem, this response is moot.

On Sun 13 Feb 2022 at 18:50:43 (+0100), Hans wrote:

> > If you want to boot A, just select it from the menu presented by B's
> > grub.
> >
> > When you boot and run A, you can update-grub¹ and that will scan
> > and see both systems, writing A's grub.cfg with A as the default
> > system to boot /in its grub.cfg/. However, A's grub.cfg will never
> > be consulted, because the MBR points to B's grub.cfg. (Think of
> > B as the "master system".)
> >
> > (Only if you run grub-install on system A will the MBR be overwritten
> > so that it points to A's grub.cfg, and from then on, booting would
> > use A's grub.cfg.)

> yes, that is what I thought, would be working. But sadly did not.
>
> I expected, after using update-grub, that os-prober would detect both
> partitions with the menu.lst or grub.cfg inside and create two entries in the
> boot menu.
>
> However, this did not work, only one (the last installation, which was kali),
> was seen.
>
> Maybe I did something wrong!

Saying something didn't work is no help. Even the observation here
is of little use without the pasted output, and possibly requires
yet more context than that.

And saying "the menu.lst or grub.cfg inside" gives the /impression/
that you're not doing the work on your side, not even looking to
see what you're dealing with.

> I had had Windows-7 and Debian on the hardddrive. Then I deleted the Windows-7
> partition (good choice, eh?) and installed kali on this partition.
>
> With installing grub during the installation process, I expected grub to see
> both, kali and debian. But, it only recognized kali.
>
> So my idea was, to edit kali's grub.cfg manually, so that I got two entries,
> but did not succeed (becauuse I did not know, how exactly to do).

Again, your report is sadly lacking. No indication of what is where,
even though I had tried to guess in my first post. And no indication
of the edits you made and what the output said, just "did not succeed".

> Meanwhile I am using the whole harddrive for kali, because I discovered that
> the partition was to small for kali (34GB, but I needed 50GB).
>
> But I think, this problem will appear in some time, when I am buying a bigger
> harddrive, where I intend to put several different operating systems on one
> harddrive.

When it does, please read some parts of these before you post:

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

> Thanks for the feedback, and all your help.
>
> If I got a solution, I will tell you.

Cheers,
David.