Re: linux kernel and nvidia - never ending story

On 2022-03-07 18:25:54 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Obviously it depends who you ask.  The kernel side doesn't consider
> itself to blame because they do expose a "stable" API which Nvidia
> could use.

But note that the Xorg API is not stable. The 340 branch can no longer
be used at least because of that (it is no longer maintained by Nvidia
and does not support the latest Xorg API). Anyway, it is affected by
security issues, so that even if it still worked, this would not be
secure.

My machines are not concerned by the 340 branch, but by the 390 branch,
whose EOL is at the end of the year. So this will be an issue the next
time Xorg modifies its API.

> I encourage you to file bug reports for that and try to help fix the
> problem as best as you can.  It might be worth trying it with a "fresh"
> install since I've heard several reports that Nouveau installations can
> be impacted by the installation of the proprietary Nvidia driver.

It is useless to report bugs against Nouveau. See for instance:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-nouveau/-/issues/23
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-nouveau/-/issues/81
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-nouveau/-/issues/202
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-nouveau/-/issues/534

In particular, I reported Issue 23 in 2012 (almost 10 years ago)
and provided a script reproducing the bug, which was confirmed.
But there was no attempt to fix it.