Re: Wayland vs X

* On 2022 11 Mar 07:16 -0600, Christian Britz wrote:

> On 2022-03-11 12:47 UTC+0100, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> > I have used Gnome on Wayland since late 2018.  It improved a lot with
> > the release of Bullseye.  I use this setup on two machines, a laptop and
> > a desktop that has two monitors.  So far I have not had any issues with
>
> And what is the practical _advantage_ over a X11 setup?

Gnome is now native with Wayland and its visual effects only work with
Wayland as I understand it.  I did try Gnome Flashback as it runs on X11
and the visual effects were disabled.  In some cases that's not an
issue and is likely appropriate for some hardware.

> The question is serious. Everytime I tried Wayland, something was not
> working as expected, uncomfortable to use and so on. Yes, Wayland
> support has improved a lot, but I still do not really see what I miss
> because I stick to X11. I know that Wayland has a cleaner design, but
> that bothers me not too much as a user.

Interesting as no one uses Wayland or X11 directly but through a window
manager or quite likely one of the desktop environments.  Debian
packaging seems to sort this out where a DE like Xfce only installs Xorg
packages and Gnome installs Wayland and Xwayland.

That said, if hardware support is not present, then I suspect that any
advanced features will have problems.  Use what works for you.  I am
just providing my experience as I'm not a cheerleader for Wayland or
against Xorg, just a satisfied user of both.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB