Re: Wayland vs X

On 11.03.22 14:14, Christian Britz wrote:

On 2022-03-11 12:47 UTC+0100, Nate Bargmann wrote:

I have used Gnome on Wayland since late 2018.  It improved a lot with
the release of Bullseye.  I use this setup on two machines, a laptop and
a desktop that has two monitors.  So far I have not had any issues with

And what is the practical _advantage_ over a X11 setup?

The question is serious. Everytime I tried Wayland, something was not
working as expected, uncomfortable to use and so on. Yes, Wayland
support has improved a lot, but I still do not really see what I miss
because I stick to X11. I know that Wayland has a cleaner design, but
that bothers me not too much as a user.

Regards,
Christian

Isn't it all about X by design to not be able to safely protect a running X applications to snoop on other running X applications, something like the content of a window cannot safely kept private? I remember to have read that Wayland was invented for this reason, to overcome these security flaws of X which in the beginning of X have not been a concern to anyone, but nowadays security issues are of much importance to almost everyone. (I have no reference for this statement, just remember to have something like this read in the past) And isn't it because of Wayland protecting windows by design against other windows, that operations like Copy&Paste between GUI applications are (still) not always running smoothly and need extra efforts to become well implemented? (Again, I have no reference for this statement, just remember to have something like this read in the past)

Regards,
Marco