Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sunday, 10 April 2022 08:02:32 EDT tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 07:46:37AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday, 10 April 2022 06:06:31 EDT tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=0 into some /etc/default/avahi-daemon.
> >
> > Checking all my machines, all but one was set to 1, fixed the others
> > and redid the initramfs as it said in 2 of the 5, in that file.
> >
> > Thank you for that Tomas, now its done by the official way including
> > on this bullseye box. I also took advantage and disabled brltty by
> > similar means. That leaves orca dirtying the logs with about 20
> > lines every 15 seconds. And that leads to a reboot about weekly by
> > filling up the /var partition. Orca however, does not appear in
> > /etc/default. Where is it started so I can officially stop it? That
> > would extend my uptimes I expect.
>
> As it came out in That Other Thread :) I think this is some rogue USB
> serial adapter fooling udev that it is a Braille input. Find that, fix
> your udev rules (or dump the adapter).
>
> Background: whenever you stick an USB into your device tree, it tells
> udev "hi, I'm a new mouse". Or a "memory stick". Or "a camera". But
> of course, this comes roundabout: it tells the maker and the maker's
> device model as a pair of numbers.
>
> There's a lot of things which may go wrong there: from an inexact
> device database to some cheap manufacturer skimping on the USB
> consortium membership and squatting on wrong identifiers.

Or even ducks the issue by all-balling the identifiers. Those most often
encountered looking like a usb key gismo and soon find the trash can.

But since fdti is the only maker of seriel adaptors that actually works,
proliic tried but failed miserably, I see no reason not to reach thru the
adaptor and see if its actually a braille device, rather that blindly
assuming it is when there are many other often legacy devices that need
the adaptor. The cm11a to control your lights and appliances interface is
likely at least 30 years old, and the protocol was known in the mid 80's.
I wrote software in the late 80's to do that from a trs-80 Color Computer
running os9-level one, then jim hines and I moved it to amigados using
ARexx and sold registered copies of it for a few years.  Called it ezhome
based on something else we wrote called ezcron since amigados had no cron
utility. We gave that away.

> Once we have more details perhaps someone can lead you through the
> process. But test-booting the thing while some USB devices are
> unplugged until you find the culprit is something only you can do.

True Tomas, but my attempts to install w/o it have all failed as it will
not reboot without it so a reboot turns into a new install, 20 some times
now, which I'm sick of doing, hence my questions that keep harping on
getting rid of it gracefully AFTER the install. Basicly, whats done
should have an undo method and I will keep asking until the magic phrase
comes out of someones fingertips. In the meantime I am reminded of it by
the need to reboot weekly in order to have a usable machine.

> Hint: binary search may be helpful (unstick first half of the USBs
> and so on).
>
> Cheers
> --
Take care and stay well, Tomas.