Re: xterm. Was Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 07:53:21AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 June 2022 03:21:50 EDT Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > The fact remains that xterm is not in the pulldown menu's, I have
> > > konsole and termit, and termit will work from x and give me mouse
> > > driven copy/ paste. But its a teeny litle thing on this monitors
> > > screen.
> >
> > Execute
> >
> >   xterm &
>
> root@coyote:~# xterm &
> [1] 3504
> root@coyote:~# -bash: xterm: command not found
> ^C
> [1]+  Exit 127                xterm
> root@coyote:~#
> logout
> gene@coyote:~$ xterm &
> [1] 3533
> gene@coyote:~$ bash: xterm: command not found
>
> xterm cannot be found by synaptic or apt either.
>
> So I'll repeat, what is this magic xterm? What do I install to get it?

Hi Gene,

xterm is the _original_ X terminal

If you go look at /etc/alternatives - there's an x-terminal-emulator
category.

/etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator

update-alternatives --config x-terminal emulator gives me six choices on
this machine

Selection	Path					Priority Status
0		/usr/bin/gnome-terminal-wrapper		40	auto mode
1		/usr/bin/gnome-terminal-wrapper		40	manual mode
2		/usr/bin/ko18rxterm			20	manual mode
3		/usr/bin/lxterm				30	manual mode
4		/usr/bin/uxterm				20	manual mode
5		/usr/bin/xterm				20	manual mode

Konsole and termit are both alternatives to xterm in some sense.

apt-cache search xterm

will give you a list of all the xterm-like terminal
emulators.

apt install xterm

would install xterm as one of the alternatives

Many of the config options for colour/commands/control sequences for xterm
have been carried through to later emulations and improvements

> What I do have is konsole and termit, no xterm.
>
> > in one of the terminal windows which the pulldown menu gives you.
> > There should pop up a xterm window with black background and white
> > writing.
> >
> > man xterm gives a lot of options which influence the look of the
> > terminal window. My favorite look is achieved by
> >
> >   xterm -geometry 80x24 -bg wheat -fg black -sl 10000 +sb &
> >
> > (+sb suppresses the scroll bar. Scroll up and down by Shift+PageUp and
> >  Shift+PageDown. -sl 10000 gives a long scroll memory.)
> >
> > Repeat as often as needed to get the desired number of xterms.
> >
> > Consider to put your favorite xterm command into a script, so you can
> > start it by a simple shell command like
> >   my_xterm
> >
> > (Consider to learn how to add such a command to the menus of the
> > desktop or window manager. I gave my fvwm an "xterm" button by this
> > line in ~/.fvwm2rc :
> >   *FvwmButtons xterm linuxterm.xpm Exec xterm -bg wheat -fg black -sl
> > 10000 +sb -title xterm )
> >

> > If the default character size is too small for you:
> >
> > Ctrl+RightMouseButton in the xterm window gives a menu with sizes
> >   Default  Unreadable  Tiny  Small  Medium  Large  Huge
> >
> > If you are willing to dive into the sea of fonts, search the web for
> > proposals like
> >
> >   xterm ...other.options... -fn '*courier-bold-r*140*' &
> >
> >   xterm ...other.options... -fn 10x20 &
> >
> > Found on:
> >
> > https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/x-window-system/9780937175149/Cha
> > pter05.html where i read:
> >   "This wouldn’t be so bad if a typical font name wasn’t mind-bending
> > at first glance."
> >
> > (Ah ... 1990s nostalgy ...)
> >

> > Have a nice day :)
> >
> > Thomas
> >
> > .
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater