Re: Cron removal - unstable, question

Hello,

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 11:56:26PM +0100, Štěpán Košan wrote:
> really sorry to bother with a stupid question, however I was wondering, I
> got a warning that CRON is about to be removed in the upgrade, but it seems
> it's still on. Is there a plan to remove it eventually?

I have not seen any indication that Debian developers are planning
to remove crond.

There was a recent-ish thread on debian-devel where
it was pointed out that system cron tasks could now all be replaced
with systemd timers, but the conclusion was that crond can still be
useful for per-user tasks. There were also some deficiencies pointed
out with regard to systemd tiemrs not emailing output as cron does.

To say more about the warning that you saw we would need to see the
actual warning text, the surrounding context, more information
about what you were actually doing. It's probably going to be some
temporary dependency weirdness in unstable.

Cheers,
Andy