Re: Comments on upgrade steps from one version of Debian to another

On 2022-08-20 19:27, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:

You can use apt, apt-get, or aptitude to run the commands that do most of the work, and in your script you chose apt for that task. I recall reading that they do not all use the same algorithm to determine which packages to upgrade and in what order, at each stage of the upgrade. I think I read somewhere that aptitude has the best algorithm, but apt-get is more suitable for a script.

Chuck,
I found the DebianUpgrade wiki page and all of the commands use "apt". When I have used "apt-get" it regularly pumps out a disclaimer that it doesn't have a good/reliable cli for scripting.

I'm going to look at aptitude a little more.

--
Regards,

John Boxall