Re: Sometimes different network interface name?

On Fri, 2022-09-02 at 13:44 +0300, Anssi Saari wrote:
> I have an LTE module in my Debian router for failover in case my fiber
> goes down. It has this occasional issue that mostly its interface is
> wwan0 but sometimes it's wwx0a697e2d934f.
>
> When that happens I have something like this in my syslog:
>
>   Sep  1 08:34:40 animus kernel: [    8.150781] qmi_wwan 2-1.3:1.5 wwx0a697e2d934f: renamed from wwan0
>
> So did the kernel really go and rename my interface? Why does this
> happen only occasionally? Some race condition?

The number in the name looks like a MAC address and its value is in the
'locally administered' range, i.e. not something baked into the device
by the manufacturer. Is that number always the same? I'm wondering if
there is a MAC randomisation process running on you system (sometimes
used for privacy concerns) and that randomisation may be during boot
with different timing compared to systemd/udev renaming the device from
wwan0.

--
Tixy