Re: Currently on x11vnc, looking for reliable VNC solution?

On 9/7/22 10:11 PM, David wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Sept 2022 at 11:44, Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape.net> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Regarding your final sentence, I wonder if installing dbus-x11 instead of
> > > dbus-user-session would improve that situation.
> > >
> > > Because of what I read in the 'Description' in the output of
> > > 'apt show dbus-user-session'.
> > >

> > I have both dbus-user-session and dbus-x11 installed:
> >
> > chuckz@debian:~$ dpkg-query -l dbus*
> > Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
> > | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> > |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> > +++-=======================-============-============-=================================================================
> > ii  dbus                    1.12.20-2    amd64        simple interprocess messaging system (daemon and utilities)
> > un  dbus-bin                <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> > un  dbus-daemon             <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> > un  dbus-session-bus        <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> > un  dbus-session-bus-common <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> > un  dbus-system-bus         <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> > un  dbus-system-bus-common  <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> > ii  dbus-user-session       1.12.20-2    amd64        simple interprocess messaging system (systemd --user integration)
> > ii  dbus-x11                1.12.20-2    amd64        simple interprocess messaging system (X11 deps)
> >
> > I don't know how systemd handles the case when one user has two gnome sessions running at the same time or if it is possible to make it behave better in that case. I also don't know if installing dbus-session-bus or dbus-system-bus might help. If anyone has any tips to improve the way it runs in that case, I could try them out.
>
> The 'Description' to which I referred you says:
>   To retain dbus' traditional session semantics, in which login sessions
>   are artificially isolated from each other, remove this package and install
>   dbus-x11 instead
>
> Note: "remove this package".

I just tried my system with the dbus-user-session package removed, and it still does not run two gnome sessions of the same user very well. After removing the dbus-user-session package with the dbus-x11 package still installed, I started the tigervnc server which started a gnome user session, and then when I logged into another gnome session on the local display as the same user, the session on the local display started normally but in the process of starting the session on the local display the tigervnc server died. So I avoid running two gnome sessions as the same user at the same time on the same machine, and I don't think the feature of running two sessions at the same time as the same user on the same machine is a feature that is needed all that much, it is just a curiosity for me.

Best regards,

Chuck