Re: Limiting ssh access: by MAC Address?

Tom Browder wrote:
> Is it possible to use UFW to limit ssh access to a server by an external
> host by its MAC address?
>
> I now have a permanent IPv4 address for my home IP router and would like to
> access my home server from my laptop when away from home, but allow no
> other external access. Is that possible?

Not via MAC address, no. MAC addresses are only visible inside a
local area network, and disappear when routing happens to a new
network.

You should use an SSH public/private key, that you have tested
before you leave, and you should use something like this in your
sshd config:

allow_users tomb

which will narrow the range of acceptable users (before any
other user auth happens) to just people who know your username.

-dsr-