Re: Debian release criteria.

On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 01:36:31PM -0800, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few years ago a USB camera worked with Cheese, a bridge interface
> worked as documented and Firefox was fairly stable.
>
> Now Cheese cashes immediately upon startup.

Is this a bug that you are experiencing?

> QEMU documents a bridge for connecting the guest,
> https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking But creation of a
> but creation of a bridge interface fails in Debian 11.

This is only the case for IPv6 - is this something that affects you?

> Firefox has become slow and crashes frequently.

The steady state of disks is full - the steady state of software is to
increase in size and complexity. Firefox changes regularly - which version
of Firefox is particularly buggy for you and are you allowing software to
update?

> Not long ago the release criterion was "release when ready".
> What's become of that?

This is certainly the case for a major release: so, for example, Debian 12
freeze process starts on 12th January and will take as long as it takes.

For Firefox, we take what upstream releases as firefox-esr by and large:
the pace of Firefox change is such that releases age very quickly - there
isn't a "stop everything for a few months" - upstream doesn't work like
that.

All software is buggy: it is a matter of luck whether bugs hit you. It's
also entirely possible that system requirements increase and running newer
versions on very old hardware becomes more and more infeasible.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater
Hope this helps,