Re: Package versions in multi-arch

Mark wrote:

>I have a package installation problem which leads to a question about
>how (and if) package versions interact in different architectures.
>
>My system is an amd64 bookworm system, with multi-arch support and
>some packages from i386 installed, to support a vendor-supplied
>printer driver and, more relevantly to this problem I think, steam.
>
>For the last week or so package libllvm15:i386 doesn't want to upgrade
>and is "kept back" by apt.
>
>$ apt show -a liblllvm15:i386
>
>Shows two possible package versions, 1:15.0.6-3 which is installed and
>1:15.0.6-3+b1 which is a candidate to install. This situation pertains
>only to the i386 version, the amd64 version is at 1:15.0.6-3 and
>doesn't seem to have a newer version. This agrees with what I see on
>packages.debian.org.

>Am I reading this right that if two architectures of the same package
>are installed on the same system with multi-arch support, they have to
>be the same version? If that is true, the solution is just to wait for
>the new version of the package to be added in amd64. But... really?

You've been bitten by a subtle but unfortunately common problem,
yes. In multi-arch systems the versions of packages have to be totally
in sync. But the +b1 syntax here means that the i386 package has had a
binNMU (binary NMU) build which means that they *can't* be in
sync. The problem should be solved with the next new upload of the
llvm-toolchain-15 source package - that will bump the version in both
cases so that they match.

binNMUs are horrible. :-(

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews