Re: need kino. or a substitute that can work with a sony hi-8metal720 by handicam.

On 1/11/23 17:47, Klaus Singvogel wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
Installed all that I *think* about 30 pkgs, dmesg says new device fw1, and
it exists now in /dev/, but VLC can't open device, see logs but other than
the plug in report, no connection.

The advice of Jeffrey Walton to change the permission would be my first help too.

fw1 indicates to be a FireWire device, so I'm out; never possessed one.

But I stumble about the uncommon naming: usually it's fw0, not fw1.
fw0 is probably the card itself, fw0 is still there if the camera is unplugged. And has been there since 12/23/22 when I last rebooted. I have to plug it into the camera AND turn it on to get fw1. Owned by root:video, and there is no user "video" in /etc/group or /etc/passwd. WT ????

Do you have a second FireWire device already plugged in, or can the naming somehow else be explained (by slot number)?
If not, I would suggest a reboot of the machine, because I assume a jam in the kernel then.

But as said, no experience here.

Maybe someone else can step in?

Best regards,
	Klaus.