Re: Fixing errors on a BTRFS partition?

* On 2023 15 Jan 10:07 -0600, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 04:57:07PM -0600, Intense Red wrote:
> > > Everything online hints that attempting repair is particularly
> > > dangerous, but what else am I to do?
> >
> >    You sum up my experience with BTRFS. I too was "scared" off from it and
> > reformatted my BTRFS partitions and went back to ext4 -- it's a  known
> > quantity fit for humans with tons of advice of how  to handle problems/errors.
>
> I too don't have a lot of love for btrfs, but I think it is a bit
> unfair to criticise it in this scenario, which is a failing SD card
> with no redundancy. If there'd been redundancy then btrfs should
> have noticed the problems and got the data from the other
> copy/copies, but here it had no opportunity to do so.
>
> In the same situation, ext4 would have just carried on until it got
> read/write errors but this wouldn't have been any better. btrfs got
> the same errors and reported more of its own that it noticed from
> the incorrect checksums.
>
> It sounds like the OP's use case didn't involve redundancy nor did
> it involve any of the other btrfs features such as compression or
> snapshots, so btrfs probably wasn't a good choice here. ext4 or XFS
> may have been better here just because they are simpler. I can
> understand not wanting to have a learning experience when it comes
> to one's data.

Perhaps this needs to be taken up with the Freedom Box Foundation (it
has close ties to Debian) as it is the image they provide that chose
btrfs to be written to the micro-SD card and used as an appliance on the
Freedom Box Pioneer hardware (Olimex A20-OLinuXino-LIME2).

*I* did not choose this filesystem for this application, just to be
clear.  If there is a better choice for what is intended to be an
appliance running from a micro-SD card, then that should be communicated
to the Freedom Box people.

I have an SSD on order and will rebuild with ext4.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB