Re: Libvirt dnsmasq oddity

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023, 12:10 PM Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:
I seem to have hit an oddity in how dnsmasq operates for libvirt.

I have two host machines each with several guests. One of those is also
the local samba server. Guests on the non-samba server can resolve the
samba server's host name correctly, so far without fail.

Guests on the samba server sometimes get the correct IP address for the
samba server, and other times get an IP address for the samba server of
127.0.1.1. That is the IP address provided in the host's /etc/hosts.

I have a workaround of hard coding the IP address in the fstab entry,
but that's tacky. Is there a better way to handle this?

I would first want to find out why the samba server is doing that "sometimes" but not others.

My first guess would be that you have a hostname identified somewhere that resolves to 2 different addresses, depending. And one or both may be defaulted addresses. But Charles you seem to be past those kinds of mistakes usually :-)

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/