Re: OpenSSL 3.0 support for Debian11

On 2023-01-17 at 09:33, Shaheena Kazi wrote:

> Hello Team,
>
> We are using Debian 11 with OpenSSL 1.1.1n
> As OpenSSL 1.1.1 series is going EOL on 11th September 2023.
>
> We would like to know if Debian is planning to add OpenSSL 3.0 support on
> Debian 11 any time soon.

While I have no special inside knowledge on the subject:

Debian 11 is, from what I understand, the current stable release.

It is unlikely that such an important package would be updated from one
major version to another within a stable release. It's not entirely
impossible, e,g, via the stable-security repository, but I would not
expect it to happen.

However, we are apparently currently approaching the freeze date for
preparing the next stable release of Debian, which would presumably be
Debian 12. Current Debian testing (which will, following the polishing
process during the freeze period, be released as the new stable)
includes OpenSSL 3.x, so it is nearly certain that that will be included
in the next stable release.

The length of the freeze period varies depending on how long it takes
for things to become ready to release, but my understanding is that it
will typically be four to six months.

Given that 2023-09-11 is a little less than eight months away, I think
that there should be a new stable release - including OpenSSL 3.x - out
before that happens.

However, you probably won't be able to update to that version while
remaining on Debian 11; you will probably need to update to Debian 12 in
order to get it.

--
   The Wanderer