Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

debian-user wrote:

>>> Development is fastest using whatever language you know
>>> best. This is not an objective argument.
>>
>> Put it this way, a novice Python programmer can do more in
>> Python than the novice Lisp programmer can do in Lisp, or,
>> if you will, the same in less time.
>
> I'm afraid that Python has one specific feature that puts me
> off. Sensitivity to indentation. To those who first had to
> learn 'make', it's a sin that cannot be forgiven.

I know, I absolutely don't like it but I think maybe it is
actually beneficial for the speed aspect since you don't
fiddle around with it manually in order to get it to look your
way ...

Erlang, Haskell are notorious for this because of the emphasis
on pattern matching, people spend hours aligning back and
forth to make the code look logical as well ...

> I'll admit that when I first saw perl, I thought it was
> horrific and I swore to continue using awk and C and ...
> anything but perl. But then one day $job required me to
> learn perl so I did and have been a convert ever since.

C looks much better than Perl but Python also don't look good,
C looks better. But Lisp also looks good - well, often!
C almost always looks good.
C U!

--
underground experts united