Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

On Sat, Apr 08, 2023 at 02:57:42PM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> >> We are working on it ...
> >
> > Maybe i can help by stating that Perl and Python are among
> > the largest resource hogs known in the world of languages.
>
> What, how do they know that, they do the same computation and
> count CPU instructions? LOL

Benchmarking an entire language is not exactly a trivial undertaking,
nor is it entirely a sensible statement to make.  You run into a few
issues:

1) How do you choose what task to write programs for?

2) How do you ensure the programs you write in each language, for this
   benchmarking task, are the best possible programs?

Point 2 requires that you be an expert in all of the languages to be
benchmarked, or hire the services of language experts.

Point 1 at least offers you the opportunity to narrow your field of
study a bit.  You might make statements like "Language A is generally
faster than Language B at running Monte Carlo simulations of dice games"
which is much more meaningful than "Language A is a resource hog".