Re: ICMP router advertisement (ipv4)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

On 10/4/23 12:49, Tim Woodall wrote:

And it doesn't forward packets from new ips either, it just silently
drops them.

I don't know how the router learns ips but I suspect it's something to
do with DAD,

I don't know about your router specifically, but here in Australia the Network Termination Device (in my case a cable interface) has a gig ethernet port that a conventional 'router' connects to (e.g. the typical wifi device usually with some ethernet ports). On the NTD side the router sees an ethernet style interface that it can broadcast discovery packets onto. The NTD then routes the packets to the ISP via some cable protocol.

You can simply plug your computer ethernet direct into the NTD and do all the link negotiations you want. No extra hardware required.

In my case I have a dual port armbian device connected to the Network Termination Device to act as router to my network.

That's how I used to do it when with Andrews and Arnold in the UK.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have that option any more. My cable modem
appears only to expose a layer 4 connection.

Previous version of my router appear to have a "modem mode" but that
doesn't exist in my version.