Re: Evolution email (problem?) (IMAP, Gmail, email compacting)

Oh, I meant to add that compacting is typically useful when record (email?)
storage is in something like an mbox file -- it saves the need to rewrite the
file each time a single file is deleted (for example).

On the other  hand, with storage in something like mdirr files (right name --
one email / record per file) it is not really relevant (unless those records /
emails are indexed by some other indexing system that stores pointers to all
of those records).

In (older versions?) of kmail, with mbox storage, compactiing is necessary to
reclaim unused space after deletions, and there is an option in the context
menu for (most) kmail folders to initiate compaction.

--
rhk