Need some advice please.

Ok so I cannot download any files to fix my /var section.  I have a 2 TB seagate that has a USB 3 cord to it.  I do not have an open USB port so I plugged it in to my USB hub thingy and it got shut down.  It is no longer usable.  So the question is I have a HDMI spot open on the computer and if I find a USB adapter to HDMI and plug it in will that work.

I looked and there are many different kinds and most are about monitors.  I don't want to blow up my seagate or my computer but am at a loss as to which way to go.

I plan on using the sea gate to back up my home partition and then install 11.6 on the computer and use the seagate as a back up.

Any ideas would be of great help.