Re: 10 year old machines are slow (was: A hypervisor for a headless server?)

On 6/2/23 12:19, Stefan Monnier wrote:
The most recent general-purpose Intel CPU without VT-X is from 2012.
[...]
*everything* on processors that old is slow.

Actually, for many (most?) single-threaded applications, I wouldn't be
surprised if some 2010 CPUs end up within a factor 3 of the most badass
desktop you can find today.

I do Perl development and like to run my module test suites in parallel to shorten the develop-test cycle. Tuned correctly, I can keep all 8 threads busy on my quad-core Hyper-Threading processors for the majority of the run time.

These are the test platforms (all have SATA 6 Gbps SSD's and enough memory to avoid swapping):

* Dell Latitude E6520 laptop with Core i7-2720QM (Q1'11)

* Homebrew Antec tower with Intel DQ67SW desktop board and Core i7-2600S processor (Q1'11)

* Dell Precision 3630 with Xeon E-2174G (Q3'18)

I will look up the PassMark CPU Mark scores for the various processors, gather Perl module test suite run time data, and do a Power Regression analysis with LibreOffice Calc:

https://help.libreoffice.org/6.1/en-US/text/scalc/01/statistics_regression.html?DbPAR=CALC

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Here is the data table for the regression analysis:

		x		y
		CPU Mark	Test Time
		(dim)		(seconds)
Core i7-2720QM	4068		24.033
Core i7-2600S	4594		22.985
Xeon E-2174G	9712		16.544

Here is the resulting equation:

y = exp(6.779011065)*(x^-0.43266897)

Here are the predicted Test Time values for a Core i7-2600 (Q1'11) and a Core i7-13700 (Q1'23):

		x		y
		CPU Mark	Test Time
		(dim)		(seconds)
i7-2600		5330		21.461
i7-13700	38995		 9.072

So, the Core i7-13700 is predicted to be faster than the Core i7-2600 by a factor of 21.461 / 9.072 = 2.366.

David