Re: Replacing a Motherboard and CPU

On Tue, Jun 06, 2023 at 06:47:07AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Mick Ab composed on 2023-06-06 11:38 (UTC+0100):
>
> > If I replace a motherboard in a desktop PC with a motherboard of the same
> > model and manufacturer, do I need to do anything apart from reconnecting
> > everything and possibly updating the BIOS ?
>
> > If, at the same time as replacing the motherboard,  i also replace the CPU
> > with a CPU of the same model and manufacturer, do I need to do anything
> > apart from reconnecting everything and possibly updating the BIOS ?
>
> The new motherboard's NIC should have a unique MAC address. If the MAC address was
> used in any portion of network setup, it will need to be edited.

In a very large number of cases, the network interface names will change,
which means you may need to update your network interface configuration
(e.g. /etc/network/interfaces if that's what you use, as well as firewall
stuff if your have any).

If you used the MAC address to assign an IP address via your DHCP server,
then the DHCP server will need to be updated with the new MAC address,
independently of anything that happens on the Debian system.

If the new motherboard has a different type of video hardware, then you
may need different firmware, or even a different video driver.  (This
is unlikely, given that you said "same model", but it's definitely
something you'll want to verify.  Visible model numbers do not always
mean the same underlying hardware.)