Re: 60-serial.rules, broken

On 6/7/23 14:44, Sascha Silbe wrote:
Hello Gene,

gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:

Greetings all;

/dev/serial/by-id has not been created for quite some time. [...]

That's Debian#1035094 [1]. A fix was uploaded three weeks ago and is
available in bullseye-proposed-updates [2] but not the regular Bullseye
repository. If I understand the status page [3] correctly it's only
scheduled for the next point release. Given that there already was a
point release recently (11.7 on 2023-05-01) it will probably another
couple of months until this bug gets fixed in bullseye. :-/

Might be worth it to add proposed-updates to the APT sources and use APT
pinning to update only systemd.

Not sure if it's fixed in Bookworm already. The upstream fix went in at
v253. Bookworm is at 252.6 which doesn't exist as a tag in the upstream
repo so I cannot check if the fix was backported.

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1035094
[2] http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye-proposed-updates/
[3] https://release.debian.org/proposed-updates/stable.html

I couldn't figure how to dl the file, so I snapshoted the diff screen from [1], and will compare it to what I have from the patch, which it appears I have not done to this machine, as I have /dev/serial/by-path only here, no by-id. This bug is a showstopper for users of 3d printers.

Take care & stay well Sascha.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis