Re: bookworm upgrade report: boring

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:02:13 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 12 Jun 2023 at 08:50:54 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 12:31:31 -0400
> > Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> >

> > > The machine I am typing on has been upgraded from bullseye to
> > > bookworm. TL;DR: boring, which is good.

> > > I read the release notes.
> > >
> > > Changed sources.list entries.
> > >
> > > Ran apt update.
> > >
> > > I ran apt upgrade --without-new-pkgs before apt full-upgrade.
> > > Then I rebooted.
> > >
> > > Everything's working. In the end, I didn't make any config
> > > changes (left everything as "keep current config").
> >
> > This is the part that always stresses me out; I often have changes in
> > the default config files that I don't want to lose, but I'm also
> > worried about not getting the latest versions of the config files. I
> > usually try to accept the new files and manually bring in any important
> > changes I've made to the old ones, but this takes time and patience to
> > do right, and things can break if not done right :)
>
> I have taken to assuming that detected changes are due to my efforts

Often, but apparently not always. For example, on one of my upgrades,
the old sshd_config had:

**********
# Change to yes to enable challenge-response passwords (beware issues with
# some PAM modules and threads)
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
**********

whereas the new one had:

**********
# Change to yes to enable challenge-response passwords (beware issues with
# some PAM modules and threads)
KbdInteractiveAuthentication no
**********

Is this important? What would have happened had I left the old version,
as opposed to switching to the new version? Presumably nothing, since
I'm using the safer default setting in either case, and I suppose I
could have taken the time to track down the change and its
implications, but running into these types of situations while
upgrading can be disconcerting.

> and reject the package version offered. Less stressful and speeds up
> the installation. If necessary, I investigate afterwards.

This is probably the logical thing to do, but I'm always worried that
there may be new settings that should be set, and so on.

--
Celejar