Re: swap-fle on arm64, need to disable, how?

On Sun 01 Oct 2023 at 04:31:26 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> On 9/30/23 23:22, hw wrote:
> > On Sat, 2023-09-30 at 18:29 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> > > However that did give me a clue about getting rid of zram0, which has
> > > been done now, thank you. Now I hope to uncomment the SSD line in fstab.
> >
> > Well, zram is the way to go; why would you still use swap partitions
> > or swap files instead?  Are you deliberately trying to wear out your
> > SSDs or to slow down your computer?
> >
> zram is probably the way to go for board with lots of dram. Something
> the pi's don't have. My only pi is an early rpi4b, Claims 2G, shows
> 1.8G. I tend to do big things with it.

OTOH the Description says:

 "zram-tools uses this module to set up compressed swap space.
  This is useful on systems with low memory or servers
  running a large amount of services with data that's easily swappable
  but that you may wish to swap back fast without sacrificing disk
  bandwidth.

 "By default it allocates 100MB of RAM, you can configure this in
  /etc/default/zramswap."

> To steal over a gig for zram style swap does not make any sense to me.

Did they just copy a Fedora configuration? I've read that this is what
it does.

> > Fedora has it by default since a while, and at first I thought it's a
> > very stupid idea.  In practise, I can't be bothered anymore to create
> > these annoying swap partitions.  They're only a waste of disc space.
> > There haven't been any issues with it, and when the machine runs out
> > of memory, using swap partitions or swap files isn't going to fix
> > that.
>
> But with zram  taking over half its memory, its into swap and slowing
> down quicker, and plumb out of memory for big jobs, when it could
> still be working fine with bigger, albeit probably slower than zram,
> swap.

I hadn't come across this package before, so I installed it on an idle
laptop. With configuration completely untouched, OOTB, it reports:

  $ free
                 total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
  Mem:        16256864      197692    10999672        1848     5059500    15714244
  Swap:         262140           0      262140
  $ cat /proc/swaps
  Filename                Type            Size            Used            Priority
  /dev/zram0              partition       262140          0               100
  $

Cheers,
David.