Re: Debian will not boot any more, wrong UUID

Hi the Wanderer,
> Having read over the rest of this thread, so far I do not see anything
> to indicate that the UUID has changed.
Ok

> Rather, I think that this is likely to be the entire problem.
>
> At least on some (many?) systems, when this is set to RAID rather than
> AHCI, a different driver is required. When that driver is not present or
> is not compatible with the hardware, Linux will not see the storage
> device.
>
> That is the symptom which you are seeing, and because of that, I think
> that this is the cause you need to deal with.
>
> It is possible that the UUID of the storage device and/or the partitions
> on it may have also changed, but until the storage device is accessible
> from Linux again, the question of whether it has or not is irrelevant.
>
> > Second: The setting of AHCI has disappeared, so I can not change the
> > settings in BIOS. And: the BIOS can not be reflashed!
>
> Please describe exactly what you have done to try to downgrade the UEFI
> (which isn't a BIOS, as I understand the definitions of those terms, but
> may sometimes be called one).

In short; I tried (as most people tell): Starting windows in secure mode, then
boot into the BIOS and there set from RAID to AHCI, afterwards start windows
as normal.

This setting in BIOS was existent some time ago, but now it is complete gone
(this point is completele disappeared!)!!  I know that it is in RAID, because
Windows told so: BUS form = RAID.

> It's possible that there may be parameters which you could pass to the
> tool you're using to try to do this, which would override the refusal to
> downgrade.
>

> If you can get the "AHCI" option back, then that is almost certainly
> going to be the simplest way to fix the problem (or at least to move on
> to the next stage of the problem, which would probably be more tractable).
>
> If you can't, then the solution is likely to require getting a
> compatible driver in the Linux environment (whether live or otherwise)
> that you're using to try to access the system. The details of *that* are
> not something that I have sufficient experience with to want to try to
> advise someone on at a distance.

Yes. I am wondering, why the debian installer DVD does not see the nvme-
device. When I installed Debian_11 a year ago, it did see the drive. Of course
I tried with this DVD again to reinstall, but today it does not see the drive
any more (I suppose because of RAID).

> (If you're unlucky, there may not *be* any such driver for that model,
> or at least not one you can get your hands on. In which case, barring
> the downgrade-the-firmware angle, you'd probably be out of luck.)

I guess I am unlucky..... :)

Thanks for the help.

best

Hans