[SOLVED] Re: Debian will not boot any more, wrong UUID

Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2023, 10:42:42 CEST schrieb Steve McIntyre:
Hi Steve and all ones who helped me.

I had to search a solution for my problem and so I dind the following:

1. After I spoke to my customer, i installed Debian_12 to the second
harddrive. And yes, it is a normal SSD and slower than the NVME-drive.

2. After it I accessed to the old partitions on the NVME under Windows. Here I
am using Paragon drivers, to get access to the partitions. So I could rescue
the old data and copied them to the new /home.

3. It appeared, that grub was now on the second drive and does NOT see windows
any more. So I can not start Windows from the grub menu (os-prober in grub is
activated, but does not see /dev/nvme and so not windows) The solution is, to
boot via "F12" key which shows the BIOS option to choose, what to start. My
customer agreed to this.

All in all, this solution is unsatisfied, but accepted by my friend (customer).

Some important: During the installation, I discovered, that the BIOS was
corrupted. The menu, where the boot line should be shown (1. Windows, 2.
LinpusLite, 3. Debian) was completely crapped with random signs.

Even "Load defaults" could not rescue it! More bad: I could not get into the
BIOS any more with the F2-key.

The trick: Using the grub menu and there the point: UEFI-settings I managed to
get into the BIOS again, but the menu point was still no more existent. The
screen was full with random signs.

After some reboots and removing from power, holding power button for 10
seconds and some other things, this was suddenly ok again (luckyly!!!).

What shall I say? I suppose, the INSYDEH20 Bios is fully crap and should
avoided in the future whenever possible.

Oh, and there is no way, to overwrite it, as the BIOS installer does only an
upgrade, no overwrite. Yes, there is HOW20EZE, which you can edit the binaries
and maybe give thme a highjer version. But you need specialo knowledge and it
is dangerous and could brick your notebook completely. Thus I did not burn my
fingers.

Ok, I found a solution, not for the problem, but for my friend. And I am sure,
the cause of all these is the BIOS itself, Changed by Windows or changed by
crap.

Again, thank you all for your help. I learnt again a lot (what is always
important) and could see the reason.

This problem can be marked as solved.

Best and happy hacking!

Hans