Re: systemctl status mariadb - Access denied for user root at localhost using password NO

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 02, 2023 at 04:45:25PM +0300, Petros Pap wrote:
> root@server:~# mysql -u root
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: NO)

I believe that the Debian packaging of MariaDB is by default set up
to allow socket authentication for root@localhost so that any root
process can connect to root@localhost through the socket without
supplying a password. I also believe that this is required for
correct functioning of the packaging.

If that no longer works for you, then you or something you ran must
have changed it.

> Can you please advise me what to do?

You should re-enable socket authentication for root@localhost.

If you also need to have things connect to root@localhost by
password then I believe you can allow socket OR password auth. A
simple search will tell you how to do this in MariaDB.

Thanks,
Andy