Re: Debian live boot corrupting secure boot

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:10 AM Valerio Vanni <valerio.vanni@inwind.it> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:54:31 +0700 Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >     I found the issue on latest versions of Clonezilla, but then I tried
> >
> >                        ^^^^^^
> >     with plain Debian live and the behavior is the same.
> >
> > Does it mean that you can not boot your *old* Clonezilla live after booting a latest Clonezilla? If so, it is better to discuss the issue with shim or grub developers.
>
> Yes. If I load a Clonezilla live newer than 3.1.0-11, then I cannot boot
> anymore 2.8.1-12.

I would probably bet if you booted to Windows, the OS would check the
Forbidden Signature/Secure Boot DBX and (re)apply KB5012170 [0] as
required.

So you are probably going to have to deal with this sooner rather than
later. Both OSes are going to try to update the database with
signatures of the bad grub programs. Or I would not bet against it.

Jeff

[0] https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/kb5012170-security-update-for-secure-boot-dbx-72ff5eed-25b4-47c7-be28-c42bd211bb15