Re: XFCE4 without panels

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 16:39:11 +0300
Roland Mueller <roland.em0001@googlemail.com> wrote:

> XFCE4 panel ca be manually recreated by (as far as I remember)
> right-clicking into empty desktop space and then opening settings.
>
> Other option is mentioned here:
> https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/getting-started:
>
> Quote: "The panel will usually be started automatically as part of
> your Xfce session when you start the Xfce Desktop Environment.
> To manually start the panel, you can run xfce4-panel in a terminal."
>
> After starting the new panel you should able to add items and these
> should appear the next time you start XFCE desktop.
>

> ti 3. lokak. 2023 klo 6.30 Mike Castle (dalgoda+debian@gmail.com)
> kirjoitti:
>
> > I just tried this in a VM and it seemed to work.
> >
> > >From a command line:
> > xfce4-panel -q
> > find ~/.config | grep panel
> >
> > Remove the xfce4-panel.xml   (I also removed the empty directory
> > just named panel.)
> >
> > The lack of panels seems to have survived a reboot.
> >
> > I don't know if it is sufficient for every variation involving
> > saving session state or what not.  But might get you started in the
> > right direction.
> >
> > If worst comes to pass, you might be able to put the xfce4-panel -q
> > command in a shell script that automatically launches when you log
> > in.
> >
> > Good luck!
> > mrc

Is this a matter of principle for the OP, or does the panel interfere
with something else? I have three panels, and for me they are the main
point of running a DE rather than just a window manager. But one of
them contains an analogue clock and nothing else (because I want it
wider than the other two panels), and if the OP just wants to get rid of
the program launchers and other widgets in the usual panel(s), this
could be done to satisfy the 'at least one panel' requirement. Or a CPU
monitor or something else useful if the clock isn't wanted. And it can
be set to auto-hide so you don't even see it unless you deliberately
tickle it.

--
Joe