Re: Git for backup storage

On 10/6/23 11:14, Nicolas George wrote:
Hi.

There is a project I have that requires some scripting, but I am
wondering if somebody already did something similar and there is a
package that I can just apt-get install.

The idea is to use Git to store backups of text files that change rather
rarely or not a lot, because Git is very efficient at compressing very
similar files in time sequences. That would be used for dumps of SQL
databases for example, or for records of hashes of all the files on a
system.

Unfortunately, Git is very bad at removing old data, that makes a
problem for rotating / decimating the oldest backups. To work around
this, I am considering using several Git repositories with a spillover
system:

- The files are committed into a monthly repository, each repository
   being created on the fly for the first commit on the month.

- Old monthly repositories can be deleted.

- But before they are deleted, one commit each five days can be
   extracted and committed into a yearly repository.

- And similarly, one commit per month can be committed into a decennial
   repository before old yearly repositories are removed.

Of course the month / year / five days parameters can be tweaked.

So, does anybody know of existing packages in Debian that could make my
work easier?

Thanks in advance.

I do not understand why you would want multiple repos, to me this looks
like this would fit the bill for a Git branching workflow.

--
John Doe