Re: xrandr 1600x900 (ThinkPad X220T VGA-port) becomes 1440x900 (Samsung SyncMaster S20A300B)

> A decade ago I used a HDMI to DVI adapter plugged into the monitor (a
> case a bit larger than a DVI male connector having a HDMI slot). I
> would check if DP to DVI or DP to HDMI converters exist and have no
> compatibility issues (e.g. I have heard of bugs related to support of
> USB-C to DP chips).

I looked into this some time ago, we had a giveaway of some old monitors
at work, mostly awful stuff but there was one 30" monitor. It would only
display its native resolution of 2560x1600 via dual link DVI, just
connecting via HDMI to DVI cable got me a quarter resolution 1280x800
which was quite grainy on a 30" display. I found some converter boxes
existed. From memory I think you could go from DP to DL-DVI directly,
from HDMI you needed to convert to DP first. I decided it was too much
hassle and money (converter box and cables) for a free display.

BTW, considering the resolution and monitor in question, 1600x900 is
single link DVI territory so easier conversion and cables. Well, going
from DP to HDMI/DVI is still a bear but if the laptop has a HDMI
transmitter then the "conversion" is a matter of plugging in an adapter
which tells the video transmitter to switch to HDMI mode.