Re: How to use dmsetuup?

gene heskett [2023-11-03 12:27:19] wrote:
> Greetings all;
> As usual, the man page may as well be written in swahili. The NDE syndrome,
> meaning No D-----d Examples.

I don't think `dmsetup` is what you need anyway.

> I have those 2 2T SSD's with a gpt partition table on both, allocated as
> sdc1 and sdk1, formatted to ext4, named and labeled as lvm1 and lvm2.
> Temp mounted as sdc1 and sdk1 to /mnt/lvm1 and /mnt/lvm2
>
> How do I create a single managed volume of labels lvm1 and lvm2 of these to
> make a single volume that I can then rsynch /home to it, then switch fstab
> to mount it as /home on a reboot?

I found the following doc to be accessible:

     https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/logical_volume_manager_administration/raid_volumes

of course, your mileage may vary: I was already familiar with LVM.

> I am determined to remove the raid10 /home from the list of suspects
> causing my system lockups anytime a program such as OpenSCAD or
> digiKam, even firefox wants to write a new file to my /home partition.

Hmm... not sure adding LVM into the mix will help :-)
Maybe try and replace /home with a non RAID copy of it.

> nothing but a headache on bookworm.  And only one has tried to help,
> suggesting strace, but its output is so copious it overflows the 32G
> of main memory in this machine so I can't go back to the actual
> programs start with

You don't want `strace` to trace each and every syscall, instead you
want to filter out the irrelevant ones.  I'd start with `strace -e
trace=file', but the manpage includes many more knobs to play with.

        Stefan