Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/3/23 18:14, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 12:27:19PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;
As usual, the man page may as well be written in swahili. The NDE syndrome,
meaning No D-----d Examples.

I have those 2 2T SSD's with a gpt partition table on both, allocated as
sdc1 and sdk1, formatted to ext4, named and labeled as lvm1 and lvm2.
Temp mounted as sdc1 and sdk1 to /mnt/lvm1 and /mnt/lvm2

How big is your /home - is it bigger than 2T?
ATM its 20% of 1.8T

Do you need both drives to provide redundant storage - or is it just
a temporary storage place for /home while you get the rest of the RAID
devices sorted out?

If I were you, I wouldn't start from here :)

Don't mount them as individual drives.
Don't intend to in the final config.

pvcreate to initialise each physical drive as a drive reserved for lvm

pvcreate /dev/sdc1
pvcreate /dev/sdk1

vgcreate to create a logical volume

vgcreate HomeVolgroup /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdk1

Then use lvcreate to create the logical volume itself.

This looks a lot closer to what I had in mind, Andy, I'll unmount them when I have both eyes open at the same time tomorrow and give it a shot.

See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/LVM

Use lvm to do this: that's *exactly* what it's designed for - to allow you
to add volumes and extend disk sizes.

This is exactly how partman does it when you install. (In fact, you could do
this quite well by rebooting to recovery and using that method to reformat
the drives).

How do I create a single managed volume of labels lvm1 and lvm2 of these to
make a single volume that I can then rsynch /home to it, then switch fstab

See above:

All the very best, as ever,

Andy
[amacater@debian.org]

Thank you Andy.

to mount it as /home on a reboot?

If it works, I'll kill the raid10, reformat it and make it another lvm for
amanda to use.

I am determined to remove the raid10 /home from the list of suspects causing
my system lockups anytime a program such as OpenSCAD or digiKam, even
firefox wants to write a new file to my /home partition.  This delay does
not lockup the whole shebang, already open files in other workspaces seem to
run at normal speeds, but opening a simple gui file requester to get where
to put the file, and possibly rename it, takes anywhere from 30 seconds
minimum to around 5 minutes just to draw the requester on screen. And while
you are waiting, wondering if you even pressed the mouse button, there is
ZERO acknowledgement the button has been pushed.  The mouse can be moved
normally, but until the requester is fully drawn on screen, no other button
clicks are registered.

This software raid10 worked perfectly for buster and bullseye, but its been
nothing but a headache on bookworm.  And only one has tried to help,
suggesting strace, but its output is so copious it overflows the 32G of main
memory in this machine so I can't go back to the actual programs start with
the trace. I have used it in the past, decade or more back up the log, and
while it was noisy then, this is unusable.

Thanks for help with dmsetup.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis