Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/4/23 19:39, David Christensen wrote:
On 11/4/23 15:26, gene heskett wrote:
On 11/4/23 17:38, David Christensen wrote:

In any case, burn your most valuable data to optical discs regularly.

Not great advice unless you lock the resultant dvd away from all room lighting. I have 3 100 disk spindles of dvd's bought years ago, that are no longer recognized in any of the 4 or 5 dvd writers I have, but one box of rewritables about the same age, stored n a light tight cardboard box, will likely outlast me.  Some of them have been wiped and reused several times. Those on a spindle, with a clear dust cover letting the light into the edges of the stack of disks??  Flaky in 5 years, gone w/o a trace in 10, the drives don't see them at all. They do spin up for a minute trying, reseeking and re-reading but there is nothing readable to tell the drive what this disk needs in order to be written to, left in the disk starter track at the center of the disk.

Lesson learnt, do not use optical media for long term storage unless stored in tin boxes like AOL gave away billions of 20 years or more ago.

I have been burning archive DVD-R discs for ~14 years and storing them in a drawer (e.g. darkness).  I checked the oldest just now and it reads okay.

I have heard of CD discs disintegrating if the lacquer is scratched:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

I have heard that RW media has a shorter lifespan than R media.

FWIW the rw's I have and that continue to work, are Sony DVD+RW, well over 5 years old now. I understand there is a DVD-RW but I've no experience with them. Today my objection is the size. In comparison to a system driving 3d printers with gcode from Cura-5.4 that is not rolled up into subroutine loops, I have some of the more complex and large parts part files that will not fit on a dvd. So it simply impractical for me to back up to a measly 4.7Gig dvd.

Does anyone have experience with M-Disc media?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

David

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.