Re: Removal of Libdb5.3

On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 11:20:29PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 03:57:15PM +0000, Busireddy, Nikhitha Reddy wrote:
>
> > We are building a project on Debian:bullseye, and due to security
> > issues, we are trying to remove libdb5.3 package.
>
> As you have discovered, libdb3.5 is required for several essential
> parts of the Debian 12 release, such as libpam-modules.
>
> If you can't solve your security issues you'll need to avoid using
> Debian.
>
> It is likely that your "security issues" are that something says a
> particular version of libdb has a certain bug and must not be used,
> but you will probably find upon research that Debian has already
> patched that particular bug or is not affected by it in the first
> place.
>
> Looking for the particular CVE number at
> https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/ can often help to
> resolve these sorts of issues.

It would be nice if the OP told us which issue is a concern, and why.
A quick google search turns up
<https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2019-8457> but I
don't know how much of a concern that is on any given system.

(Does a default Debian installation even *have* any sqlite databases
on it?)