Uninstalling unwanted PHP and mariadb packages [WAS Re: How could the missing MySQL extension required by WordPress be installed?]

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 05:44:29PM +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> Apologise for the typos and incorrect sentence constructions in my
> earlier post. But I am sure that Mr.  would be able to bypass the
> errors to extract the information intended for him.
>
> My synaptic has a Log file for the installed packages yesterday:
>

> Commit Log for Fri Nov 10 21:04:10 2023
>
> Upgraded the following packages:
> mariadb-common (1:10.5.18-0+deb11u1) to 1:10.5.21-0+deb11u1
>
> Installed the following packages:
> default-mysql-server (1.0.7)
> galera-4 (26.4.11-0+deb11u1)
> libcgi-fast-perl (1:2.15-1)
> libcgi-pm-perl (4.51-1)
> libconfig-inifiles-perl (3.000003-1)
> libdbd-mariadb-perl (1.21-3)
> libdbi-perl (1.643-3+b1)
> libfcgi-bin (2.4.2-2)
> libfcgi-perl (0.79+ds-2)
> libfcgi0ldbl (2.4.2-2)
> libhtml-template-perl (2.97-1.1)
> libterm-readkey-perl (2.38-1+b2)
> mariadb-client-10.5 (1:10.5.21-0+deb11u1)
> mariadb-client-core-10.5 (1:10.5.21-0+deb11u1)
> mariadb-server-10.5 (1:10.5.21-0+deb11u1)
> mariadb-server-core-10.5 (1:10.5.21-0+deb11u1)
> socat (1.7.4.1-3)
>

> Commit Log for Fri Nov 10 21:13:50 2023
>
> Installed the following packages:
> default-mysql-server-core (1.0.7)
>

> Commit Log for Fri Nov 10 21:25:16 2023
>
> Installed the following packages:
> php-common (2:76)
> php-mysql (2:7.4+76)
> php7.4-common (7.4.33-1+deb11u4)
> php7.4-mysql (7.4.33-1+deb11u4)
>

> Commit Log for Fri Nov 10 21:37:54 2023
>
> Installed the following packages:
> apache2 (2.4.56-1~deb11u2)
> apache2-bin (2.4.56-1~deb11u2)
> apache2-data (2.4.56-1~deb11u2)
> apache2-utils (2.4.56-1~deb11u2)
> libapr1 (1.7.0-6+deb11u2)
> libaprutil1 (1.6.1-5+deb11u1)
> libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 (1.6.1-5+deb11u1)
> libaprutil1-ldap (1.6.1-5+deb11u1)
> liblua5.3-0 (5.3.3-1.1+deb11u1)
>

> Commit Log for Fri Nov 10 21:44:41 2023
>
> Installed the following packages:
> php-cli (2:7.4+76)
> php-db (1.10.0-1)
> php-pear (1:1.10.12+submodules+notgz+20210212-1)
> php-xml (2:7.4+76)
> php7.4-cli (7.4.33-1+deb11u4)
> php7.4-json (7.4.33-1+deb11u4)
> php7.4-opcache (7.4.33-1+deb11u4)
> php7.4-readline (7.4.33-1+deb11u4)
> php7.4-xml (7.4.33-1+deb11u4)
>

> So what do I need to do to clean-uninstall them all?
>
> Possible?

I'd suggest you remove

php-common
apache2
apache2-bin
apache2-data
mariadb-client-10.5

and then an apt autoremove.

Then perhaps an apt-purge apache2 .. and so on.
Then go back and remove any outlying packages that have not already been
removed until you have no more left.

For the future - for any reader of this list, not just Rajib:

If you don't know quite what you're installing and a single package installs
lots of other packages, stop and consider before you install. Meta-packages
like desktops pull in lots of dependencies, but so, as you've seen does
PHP

If you're really not sure: read lots then ask. If you say

"I want to do X. I think that means I need to install Y and configure Z.
>From reading ABC pages, I _think_ that means that I need to do the
following but I'm not sure because page C says to do this and I don't
understand. I'm running Debian 12.2 updated this week. "

 - it becomes a lot easier to understand what you want.

If you explain _exactly_ what error messages you get and how you get them
that helps significantly. If you've done a web search and found a possible
answer or that other people have had a similar problem, add that in.

"I'm getting error message DEF from running this command. From the net,
it looks as if other people have been having similar problems on older
versions of Debian but not recently - am I reading this correctly"

It shows that you have made an attempt to problem solve for yourself and
people will be more willing to help and explain their suggestions.
If the advice you get solves a problem - post that back to the list
in the thread and change the message subject slightly to make it
clear that this is an answer. For example:

[SOLVED] Package foo fails to install in Debian 12.2. [Was: Cannot install
 foo]

It is always possible that no-one else has ever seen anything similar. The
advice you get from people here may always be a best guess as to a solution.
The more clearly you can give information, the easier the problem solving
becomes.

If you have to ask lots of questions around the same subject, consider
stopping and writing a summary post to write down what you've learned
and solutions you have tried so far.

SUMMARY - Package bar still failing to install after several tries

"I have been given solution A in a post in this thread on November 1st.
I did this but then got error message B - see post on November 3rd
 so I did C on November 4th. The problem I have now is that the
error message is DE"

Hope this helps,

Andy

[amacater@debian.org]