Re: PATH question

On 2023-11-11 at 19:09, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 10:17:09PM +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Looking for an authoritative source of information to show you,
>> I found only this:
>>   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement#Installing_and_removing_packages
>> which says:
>>   You can also install a .deb file with:
>>   # apt install </path/to/deb/file/debfile.deb>
>>
>> My understanding is that the <target> must look like a pathname.
>> So, to install 'debfile.deb' in the current directory, it should look like
>>   apt install ./debfile.deb
>>
>> Maybe someone else knows where the authoritative documentation
>> of this capability can be read, if there is any.
>
> I think you've found it.  It's not in ANY man page that I'm aware of.

My reflexive reaction was "that sounds like something that warrants a
wishlist-level bug report".

Then I went looking, and I found a *normal*-level bug report that seems
to cover the matter: https://bugs.debian.org/874763

And that bug report is from 2017, and has no replies.

Unless someone is interested enough to write up a patch for apt.8 and
send it to that bug report, I suspect that this will go unaddressed for
a while longer.

--
   The Wanderer