Re: IPv6, ip token, NetworkManager and accept_ra

On Fri, 2024-02-02 at 14:28 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:
> In the past the default was to use EUI-64 and have the MAC address in
> the address. If that is suitable for you (privacy!), use that.

I basically don't care about the privacy aspect for now (it is more of
a lab setup, and my IPv4 address is static, and its PTR resolves to
something with my surname in it ;). At least at the moment I would
prefer shorter IPv6 addresses than can be constructed from the MAC,
even considering the possibility to "fake" the MAC to something
with many zeroes, using historic/obsolete MAC vendor ids with zeroes in
them etc., because identifying IPs at one glance seems very attractive
to me. Right now I want as short/as memorable IPv6 addresses as
possible.

> Use the NetworkManager to configure that.
> Automatic means using SLAAC (if available in the RA) and DHCPv6 (if
> available in the RA).

Thanks!

> > But what is the correct way to do this "ip token set" with
> > NetworkManager (or in spite of NetworkManager ;)?
>
> # nmcli c mod enp4s0 ipv6.addr-gen-mode eui64
> # nmcli c mod enp4s0 ipv6.token ::deca:fbad:c0:ffee

This is not permanent, is it? What is the suggested way to make this
survive a reboot in Debian?

Thanks for your comprehensive reply!

/ralph