Re: IPv6, ip token, NetworkManager and accept_ra

On Fri, 2 Feb 2024, Ralph Aichinger wrote:

Hi fellow Debian users!

In my quest to advance the IPv6 preparedness of my home LAN I want to
find a solution to use IP tokens on all my clients. IP tokens (keeping
the host part of the IPv6 address static while getting the subnet part
by SLAAC) seem very elegant to me, because it avoids DHCPv6 completely,
and still makes mostly working DNS records possible.

Opinions on SLAAC+IP tokens are welcome ;)

I don't use NetworkManager but I have this sort of thing:

iface eth0 inet6 auto
        pre-up echo 64 >/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/$IFACE/accept_ra_rt_info_max_plen
        pre-up ip token set ::17:102/64 dev $IFACE
        up ip -6 addr add fd01:08b0:bfcd:100::17:112/64 dev $IFACE

One of my clients is a surface laptop running Debian sid, Gnome,
NetworkManager and getting connection via WiFi. The first hickup with
this is, that seemingly ra is disabled on my NetworkManager configured
device wl0:

root@surface:~# ip token set ::5fac dev wl0
Error: ipv6: Router advertisement is disabled on device.

This can easily corrected with

echo 1 >  /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wl0/accept_ra

you can set that in /etc/sysctl.conf. Not exactly sure why it's not set
by default though... Check whether it's turned off there!

But what is the correct way to do this "ip token set" with
NetworkManager (or in spite of NetworkManager ;)?

Don't know, sorry.

Should I use nmcli or something else? Is there maybe even a hidden
Gnome GUI option?

Any other comments on this maybe quixotic endavour are welcome ;)

I like using tokens rather than the address generated from the MAC.