Re: install Kernel and GRUB in chroot.

On 03/02/2024 02:51, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Max Nikulin wrote:
Just copy files from LiveCD (it should have EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi)
to the ESP partition on the USB stick.
The /EFI/boot directory of a bootable Debian ISO usually does not contain
the full GRUB equipment for EFI. Important parts of an amd64 Live ISO are
in /boot/grub.

Certainly. And grubx64.efi in EFI/Boot of a live media behaves a bit differently from one in EFI/debian of a regular install since in the former case it relies on boot/grub residing on the same partition.

My point was to copy *files* to the pre-partitioned drive, not a whole image to the whole block device. I had a hope that the topic starter is aware of the recommended way to create a bootable USB stick using dd (or cp, etc.).

I usually copy files to existing single FAT partition on USB drives having msdos partition table (as they are shipped). It requires additional actions to setup syslinux for the sake of legacy boot, but it leaves enough space to put some additional files while the boot drive is prepared or during live session (requires remounting as rw). UEFI boot relies on files and their specific layouts, not on specific block addresses.