Many systemd units do not start anymore

Hello,

on one of my server machines, suddenly many systemd units (e.g. cron, autofs)
do not start any more, neither at boot nor when trying to start manually
with "systemctl start <unit>", this hangs till I abort with Ctrl-C -
though the commands defined in ExecStart work when I type them in directly.
From my judgement, I also believe that it takes unusually long till
then command "systemctl status <unit>" returns a result.

I already removed systemd completely (apt-get --purge --auto-remove remove
*systemd*) und switched to SYS V Init, in which all services started successfully.
But after switching back to systemd, I again had the problem of non-starting services.

Does anyone have an idea what is possibly wrong?

Regards
  Christoph